Long-distance relationships: successfully making your relationship last
Long-distance relationships are often forced and unwanted, which makes it more complicated. Some couples appreciate being able to have their moments without each other. But in many cases, the situation is not easy to manage and couples are torn apart by lack of trust, lack of effort or the relationship running out of steam. More and more couples live a long distance relationship with the rise of dating applications and the multiplication of travel and mobility.
How to make a long-distance relationship last?
Like everything else, there is no miracle. You have to make continuous efforts to make your couple last, and even more so at a distance. Distance is relative since some couples are 100 km apart while others are 6000 km apart. The key is to continue to believe in your relationship and in yourself. During COVID, for example, many couples were forced to live at a distance. It is easier to accept this distance than to suffer it. You will inevitably live it more badly and this may have an impact on your relationship.
Another thing to know is that not all couples are made to survive at a distance. Tactile people with an absolute need for contact are likely to have a hard time with it. A psychotherapist answered an interview at Cosmopolitanto support this. She explains that "When it's not experienced well, it can lead to anxiety, pressure and feelings of insecurity.
For the adventurous couple, there are a few things you can do to make your long distance relationship last. First, you have to love the other person more than anything to accept the distance. Secondly, we advise you to surprise the other person. It is not easy but if you can send an attention by mail (letter, photo, souvenir, gift...), it is very good. You can also surprise him/her by coming to see him/her. Then, do not neglect the efforts at distance, and devote a moment regularly to your partner to discuss with. You can have a small routine and call each other every night, make a video, discuss every morning ... The main thing is to be interested in each other to maintain the flame.
Questions to ask yourself to communicate well at a distance
To establish a good communication with your partner and keep the flame alive, you can ask him/her questions. Questions about your relationship, about his feelings, about his environment... It is important to feel confident with your partner and to feel free in your communication.
Therefore, we have included the majority of the questions proposed on question-conversations.frWe thought they were very relevant. So you can use these questions as a basis for conversation with your partner.
- Do you trust me?
- Do you trust our long-distance relationship?
- What can we do to see each other more often?
- How to save money to see each other more?
- Has distance allowed us to grow in love?
- Where do you see us in 5 years?
- Have you ever regretted our relationship, because of the distance?
- Have you ever been afraid I was cheating on you?
- What do you like least about a long-distance relationship?
- What do you like most about a long-distance relationship?
- Do you feel loved enough?
- What is our most beautiful memory?
- Have you ever lied to me?
- Do you think we can talk about everything together?
- Do you think we call each other too much, too little or too much?
- What time of day do you miss me the most?